Thursday, July 25, 2013

Potsdam/Berlin day 2

We went to Potsdam and on our way we saw the Grunewaldturms (the green forest tower),and of course we had to climb to the top. I mean why not.
I think it was about 180 steps just going up. But it was worth it. The tower overlooks the green forest(hints the name),and was built in a memorial to Kaiser Wilhelm. But to the Prussians who built it he was just König Wilhelm. (Kaiser = emperor / König = king)

Here it is!! The view from the top. The picture doesn't even do it justice.


Then Herr Mundt took us to see a bridge along the line of East and West Berlin. (symbolized by the white line) Here is where the East and West exchanged their spies.


And of course there were locks on the bridge again right along the line of East and West Berlin.


Then to San Souci. Fredrick the great's weekend get away. The house looks over a huge garden covered in green along with a fountain at the bottom.
Here is where he is buried. You can't see it very well but the three stone like things on his grave are potatos on his grave. He introduced potatos to Germany.

Another Palace....I don't really remember what it was called though,but it looked pretty cool!!

After all of that walking in the heat we went back to Herr Mundt's daughters house for some cake and a little nap. The cake was AMAZING.....it was covered in black current YUM!!! Later on after our nap we went out with Herr Mundt's daughter(Suzanne) and her husband. They took us shopping a little bit. Then to eat at a Vietnamese food (not sure if I spelled that right or not)

YUM!! Loved it!


Then we went to see the remaining pieces of the Berlin Wall.
This piece was the only piece that didn't have loads of gum on it. Nasty!! The others were coated in gum on both sides. I guess it is just a tourist thing to stick your gum on the Berlin Wall. Gross!!


Here it is the best ice cream in the whole wide world. I don't know if I will be able to eat american ice cream.
I had peach and strawberry. YUM!! After that it was getiing late so we just went back and went to bed.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I said the exact same thing about the ice cream! I think I ate it at least twice a day when I was over there. The "stuff" here doesn't even compare! ~Beth

    ReplyDelete