Saturday, July 13, 2013

Hallo Deutschland! (hello germany)

After lots and lots of traveling I am finally here!! All of my flights were running late. My first flight left on time but we sat in the runway for at least an hour so air traffic control could figure out which way they wanted to send us to Washington-Dulles Airport. Of course since we were late taking off we missed our flight to Munich. But thankfully Connie from Heartland Travel already had us on another flight before we landed. We just had to go a Service desk and have them print the new tickets to Franfurt. The new flight to Germany did not leave untill 9:50. We boarded the plane on time. The plane was HUGE!! I have never been on a plane that big before. It had three sets of three seating in one row!! We pulled out of the gate hoping tto get out before the storm came through. But the Airport would not let us go because we were too late. That gave us a FOUR hour delay. We didnt leave Washington-Dulles untill 2 or 3am. But it wasnt a big deal for me. I watched 50 first dates and then fell sound asleep thanks to my sleeping meds. Once we arrived in Frankfurt we had again missed our flight to Hanover. Connie was there again and had already texted me of my new flight. She is AMAZING!! We had about a two hour layover in Hanover and then we boarded the plane to Hanover. This was the shortest flight I have ever been on. It was about 30 minutes total. It seemed like as soon as we took off and were all the way up in the air we were landing in Hanover. Our bags managed to both make it to Hanover no trouble at all.......huge relief! Afer we claimed our bags Karl-HeinzWillie and Erica Jahnz were easily spotted with their sign and took us to Porta Westfalica!!!! We arrived at the first house and Karl told me it was mine so I got out with all of my bags and introduced myself to the family......then the dad asked me if I was Courtney......nope haha. That was Courtneys family the Tebbe family not the Homeier family. Then they took me to my family the Homeier family. They are very nice! By the time I got here I was completely exhausted. I had over 24 hours of traveling by then so I was ready for bed. Barbara my host mom showed me around the house and introduced me to the rest of her family. They have a daughter the same age as me named Annika and a son Paul (20). Their house is very small but it has just enough room for everything. I cant post Pictures this time unfortunately because they do not have Wifi and I am on my host moms computer. The next morning I woke up got dressed and went with Peter my host dad to the backery by bike. Not too bad of a ride only 5 minutes one way. The backery had bread bread and more bread. After that we came home and ate breakfast. My host mom made me an egg but not a regular egg you would Picture,but an egg in its own little stand like bowl thing(I have no idea what it is called). It was pretty weird eating a kind of hard boiled egg with a spoon. We also had bread from the backery with various jams and fruit. The strawberries are nothing like the strawberries back home! They are alot sweeter and have an overall better taste to them. After breakfast my host parents took me to a book store where they bought their son Paul his birthday present,and bought me teh first Harry Potter book in German.Then the Kaiser-Wilhelm Statue overlooking all of Porta. Oh and in case you didnt already know this Porta isnt really a town or a City for that matter it is about 50 cities put together in one name. HUGE! My host dad said it is just about as big as Paris in area. It is so beautiful!!! They brought their dog with them named Sam. He is very well trained. After that we went to Minden to a coffee factory because they needed a new piece for theirs. Pretty cool. Both of my host parents can speak english pretty well. But most of the time they speak in German and if I dont understand they will explain it in english for me. We came back home for some cake. The cake was weird but really good it was fruit in jello on top of a little bit of cake. After that we went on a boat ride on the Wesser river(vazor) in Minden. On the ride we went through a lock. The boat had to sink down with the water so we could get through to the other side where the water wasnt as deep. After a while we went on the Canal. It is basically a bridge for the Wesser to go over the top of another river. Then we went to a mill and Í got to see how they made flour with the mill using wind power. Before we even walked in the mill a little boy fell from the stairs. These stairs are similar to the stairs coming down from the top of the gate at Fort de Charters. The poor boy fell like a rock and hit his head on the rock wall at the bottom. He had a huge bruise on his head and a few scrapes. Other than that the Mill was really cool(insert beautiful picture of a german mill). Then to a Grocery store for some Food. Then we went back home and had Spaghetti and Salad. Annika was home when we got there.....she isnt so great at english. As of now my german is improving even more everytime I talk to my host family and I am getting better at understanding them as well. Tomorrow is Paul´s birthday. ( aha! i found the ` button). His family and friends are coming over for a party.....hopefully I can understand them. Just an FYI if there is a z when there should be a y that is because the German Keyboard has them switched and I type so fast that I hardly even notice it. Just so you know. I don´t know if I will be able to blog everyday but I will try.

3 comments:

  1. So interesting!!! What an experience!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting. Sounds like you've been busy. Can't wait to read more.

    Lacie Steibel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we switch lives for just one day? PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete